Project management mistakes are costly affairs. It leads to increased budget, missed project delivery timelines, and unsatisfied customer. Making mistakes is inevitable, however, learning from those mistakes and finding the right solution can increase the chances of project success.In this article, we will look at the most common project management mistakes that cause project failure.
“Failure isn’t fatal, but failure to change might be” – John Wooden
- Lack of Skilled Project Manager: Each project needs an owner, someone who takes the responsibility of the project and understands its value. A project without project manager is as doomed from beginning as a project without a skilled project manager.
Well experienced and certified project management professional brings with him the necessary knowledge and confidence to complete a project as per expectations.
- Lack of Communication: Project management involves managing people and setting the right expectations. If people involved in the project lack the understanding of the project scope, timeline, activities, and the value of their role, then there is bound to be unnecessary complications. This leads to delays and resentment.
Project manager must learn how to communicate effectively. The more the understanding among the people involved, the better the chances of successful project completion.
- Unclear Scope of Project: If the scope of project is not clear or changes too frequently, it will lead to extra time and cost. Some changes are important while others can be marked for the next phase of the project.
Track each minor or major change in the project scope during each phase. Communicate to stakeholders, customer, and developers about the repercussions of the changes so that there are no surprises at the end.
- Overly Enthusiastic Timelines: Having the right people in the right positions will ensure that timelines are decided with sufficient buffer time for unforeseen events. Giving a tight deadline to your customer is setting wrong expectations.
In an ideal world, all projects would finish within the timeline expected. Unfortunately, in real world, it doesn’t work like that and something or the other causes the project to delay. It is better to give a little stretched timeline.
- Depending Solely on Project Management Software: The purpose of project management software is to help project managers keep track of work assigned and accomplished. It gives visibility into project requirement and resource allocation. However, depending on software to solve all your project management problems is only going to intensify the underlying problem.
Manager needs to identify the people or process related problems and resolve them at the stage they arise.The facts about project management are surprising. Survey suggests that for every $1 billion invested in the United States, $122 million was wasted due to lacking project performance.
)Such facts demand every organization regardless of its size and geographical location to look at their projects at a more granular level and identify their mistakes. If you think you have any points that can add value to this list, please leave a comment.