IT Training

5 Tips on Sustaining Training Impact

Corporate training is a huge industry with billions of dollars spent every year on employee learning and development efforts. Most companies focus their L & D efforts on training delivery and that is where all the budget is targeted. However, in this process, a very important aspect is often skipped, which is, sustaining the impact of training.If the impact of training is lost within a few days of training completion, then the whole purpose of training is wasted. Training needs to be regarded as more than a few days’ event where participants attend the classroom for a few assigned hours every day for 2 to 3 days and mark as training implemented.There is an urgent need to change the outlook of training. The most important part of the training program that will ensure that returns on investment, is planning, evaluation, and strategies for sustainment.Organizations that use pre-training time to communicate the KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), experience effective training and have a much longer training impact duration. A recent research suggested that only 32% participants considered that their organization is effective or very effective at sustaining the impact of training. The remaining 68% respondents rated their organization’s’ training impact sustaining efforts as ineffective or somewhat effective.Now, the question is that after spending the hard-earned money on organizing the training and losing employee’ productivity hours,if there is no long-term change in the way of work, then why training at all?Fostering a culture of learning and development in a company is much appreciated and encouraged across the globe. But if the effect of training only lasts for 48 hours after training is over, then there is no use of training employees. In such a scenario, what can companies do to ensure that the impact of training is sustained much longer and the training generates expected ROI?Following are 5 strategies that help in strengthening the impact of training: 

  • Communicate and Set Expectations: The manager should talk to the participants before the training starts and inform them about the training purpose, key skills addressed and how it will impact the job role. It helps the participants understand the scope of the training.
 
  • Invest in Training Sustainment: Proper time and effort is required to assess the need for training per individual and evaluate the current performance to be matched with post-training performance. Participants should be provided playbooks, guides, and tools that will help them come prepared for the training and help in making the training a success.
 
  • Create Action Plans:  Participants should be asked to create action plans during the training with the help of their managers or other participants. This not only helps them to understand the effect of training on their job but also helps the manager to hold them accountable for it.
  • Micro-learning via Gamification: Small chunks of learning, 5 minutes at a time have proven to have greater impact. Micro-learning via gamification during and after training will enable participants to learn a new concept and apply it immediately on-the-job.
 
  • Learning via Mobile and Tablet: Make the training virtual with instructor-led classrooms enabled on mobile devices. This saves time as the participants can start learning from anywhere, anytime. This helps them to get back to work after training and also gives access to training material as and when needed.
 There are many ways by which training can sustain 2 to 3 times longer. Organizations that invest in sustainment reap the real benefits of training and are able to generate better ROI.

Share this post:

    Leave a comment

    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

    Sign up to receive updates and join our subscribers that see what's new with Amory!

    POPULAR POSTS

    • Business owners and leaders are .

      January 23, 2017

    • PMP® Certified Professionals ne.

      September 20, 2016

    • Wondering whether your business .

      August 1, 2016