PMP® Certified Professionals need to renew their PMP credential after every 3 years. During these 3 years, they have to earn 60 PDUs (Professional Development units). On December 1, 2015, PMI changed the way CCRS works and it caused confusion on how to earn 60 PDUs?
Here we will describe simple ways to earn 60 PDUs to continue PMP® Certification.
PMI has broadly divided PDUs earning process in 10 categories which are further grouped under two sections:
Education & Giving Back to the Profession.
These 5 categories need to be aligned with PMI Talent TriangleTM shown below:
Under ‘Giving back to the Profession’ group, there are 5 categories:
Minimum and Maximum PDUs Requirements for your CCRIf you are PMP | PfMP | PgMP | PMI-PBA Certified
• A minimum of 35 PDUs are required from Education category.
• No minimum PDUs required from Given Back to the Profession category.
• You can earn maximum of 25 PDUs from Given Back to the Profession category.
• You have to earn at least 8 PDUs for each category of talent triangle i.e. 8 for Technical, 8 for Leadership and 8 for Strategic & Business Management. Remaining 11 PDUs can be utilized in any area of Talent Triangle.
• You can earn maximum 8 PDUs from “Work as a Practitioner “from ‘Giving Back to the Profession’ category.
• You can also earn all 60 PDUs from Education Category. If you are PMI-SP | PMI-RMP | PMI-ACP Certified
• A minimum of 18 PDUs are required from Education category.
• No minimum PDUs required from ‘Giving Back to the Profession’ category.
• You can earn maximum of 12 PDUs from ‘Giving Back to the Profession’ category.
• You have to earn at least 4 PDUs for each category of talent triangle i.e. 8 for Technical, 8 for Leadership and 8 for Strategic & Business Management. Remaining 6 PDUs can be utilized in any area of Talent Triangle.
• You can earn maximum 4 PDUs from “Work as a Practitioner “from ‘Giving Back to the Profession’ category.
• You can also earn all 30 PDUs from Education Category.Earn PDUs under Education Categories
1. Course or Training:
Under this category, you can earn PDUs by attending the course from PMI R.E.P (Registered Education Providers) or any other third party provider.Documentation required for audit: Registration form, certificate or letter of attendance.
Time to time many PMI REP’s, Local chapters and third parties conduct professional meetings, you can earn 1-2 PDUs by attending these meetings.Documentation required for audit: Registration form, letter of attendance.
3. Online or Digital Media:
You can earn PDUs by self-paced learning activities through educational webinars, videos and other types of digital content that are available online and on-demand.Documentation required for audit
: Notes.4. Read
: You can earn PDUs by reading books, articles, whitepapers, or blogs covering content aligned with talent triangle.Documentation required for audit
: Notes.5. Informal Learning
: You can earn PDUs by engaging in structured professional discussions with others like Mentoring or Panel Discussion or Discussion over Lunch. Documentation required for audit
Earn PDU’s under Giving Back to Profession Category
1.Work as a Practitioner
: You can report PDUs if you are working in your certified role. For example, if you are PMP certified, you can report maximum 8 PDUs per CCR cycle.Documentation required for audit
: Employment Certificate.2. Create Content:
You can earn PDUs by creating Knowledge resources such as authoring books, blogs or articles, or creating webinars or presentations.Documentation required for audit
: Copies of publications, sample educational materials or course.3. Give a Presentation
: You can earn PDUs by giving presentation on topics relevant to the profession.Documentation required for audit
: Copies of presentation.
4. Share Knowledge
: You can earn PDUs by sharing your skills with others, like by giving trainings or mentoring, teaching. Documentation for audit
: Evidence of coaching.
: You can earn PDUs by providing volunteer services in Project Management for non-profit organizations.Documentation for audit:
Certification from organization confirming your participation.
So the easiest way of earning PDUs are Courses from PMI REPs, Online or Digital Media and Read categories.
Once you earn your PDUs, it is important to report your PDUs on PMI.org, we will explain the process in our next article.
Source: The PMI Talent Triangle logo is a mark of Project Management Institute, Inc.